But what to do with your hair? After all, given that the occasion will most likely involve cameras, recorders, Instagram, etc., there’s high pressure to look your best since your look is etched permanently in media and memory.
Luckily, the experts at Empire Beauty School have compiled and shared the trendiest hairstyles for 2012.
- Soft Waves: Soft waves are both feminine and natural. Take your curling iron and wrap sections of your hair (up to ear level) in a spiral shape around it until you’ve got a head full of dreamy waves.
- Half Up: Can’t decide between having a full up do and leaving your hair down? Well, who says you have to? Take some hair from the top of your head, tease it a bit for some volume, and gather it with either bobby pins or a barrette. Take a curling iron and add some subtle curls to the rest of your hair that’s down to give it some added va-va-voom.
- Messy Updo: Start by putting some waves into your hair. Then pull the wavy strands back and pin into a loose, natural updo. Accessorize it with pearls, flowers, or other hair accessories for a truly unique look.
- Side Bun or Pony: Young celebrities have been hitting the red carpets in numbers with this hot hairstyle. Simply bring your hair to one side of your head, and either curl it or fold it and pin it into a loose side bun.
- Roman Ponytail: This classic, sultry look is the perfect complement to any Grecian-style dress. Take two metallic pieces of cord or thin rope and tie them to the base of the ponytail. Simply criss-cross the two strands all the way down until the end of the hair and wrap the excess material around a few times and secure.
- Sassy and Short: Have short hair and wondering how you can pull off something unique? Not to worry – celebrities like Rihanna and Natalie Portman have wowed on red carpets with short and sexy hair. Use some hair paste or putty to add volume and texture, or add finger waves for a classic look. Check out this post for more 2012 short hair trends.
- Twist: This is great if you have long hair and want it off of your face for the evening. Separate your hair into two pigtails, and twist from the temples to your neck. Next, take pins and secure the hair in place in the back. Lightly spray and prepare to dance the night away!
- Braids: Braids are very versatile and work with a variety of looks. Sidebraids are natural and trendy (think Katniss in The Hunger Games), or try a braid across the crown of your head for an interesting and visually appealing style. Complex braids may require the work of a professional stylist.
The most important thing to keep in mind this season is to keep your look as natural as possible. Gone are the days when stiff, perfect hair was the thing. Keep your look trendy but not over-styled. In other words, enhance the beauty you already possess, be confident, and have a fantastic time!
For a great hairstyle at an affordable price, try out your nearest cosmetology school. Schools like Empire Beauty School have locations nationwide with highly trained students led by qualified instructors. While there, mention the ‘Special Occasion Updo” and get any of the above great formal hairstyles for just $20.